Applications are open for the ICFJ Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling 2022. The Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling, a collaboration between the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), the ONE Campaign, and the Elliott family, honors up-and-coming journalists in Africa who strive to strengthen people’s voices and illuminate the transformational change taking place on the continent.
The Award was established in honor of the late Michael Elliott, an outstanding editor, philanthropist, and former ICFJ director whose life was a testament to the power of storytelling to bear witness to and improve the human condition. Elliott served as a distinguished editor at The Economist, Newsweek, and Time before becoming CEO of ONE. In 2016, he spoke of his dream to establish an award that would bring together his belief in the power of great journalism with his commitment to progress in Africa.
ICFJ Michael Elliott Award
- The winners will receive a cash prize, a $1,000 reporting grant, and a personalized crystal award. One of the winners will complete a two-week internship at The Economist’s headquarters in London, United Kingdom. Another winner will spend time in U.S. newsrooms in Washington, D.C., and New York City.
Eligibility Required for ICFJ Michael Elliott Award
- Firstly, The contest is open to English-speaking journalists working in Africa for print, broadcast, and online news media.
- Secondly, Applicants must have no more than 10 years of journalism experience.
- Additionally, Applicants must submit one published piece that exemplifies Africa through thoughtful reporting and excellent storytelling. They are looking for impactful investigative or explanatory pieces, especially those that illuminate transformational change in Africa.
- A copy of the published story or broadcast clip must be submitted in English. Works in other languages must include English translations. We welcome submissions from print, broadcast, or digital journalists. Multimedia submissions may include web, audio, video, visual or mixed media.
The application deadline is Sunday, January 30, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. EST. They will reach out to all applicants to notify them of their status by the spring of 2021.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.