Applications are open for the People and Conservation Learning Group (PCLG) Small Grants Initiative 2023. The grant is funded by the Arcus Foundation and delivered by IIED. Applicants will be able to apply for grants up to US$7,500 to support people and great ape conservation in three great ape range states: Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.
At the heart of this small grants initiative run by the People and Conservation Learning Group (PCLG) is supporting the self-determined priorities of local communities and Indigenous groups. Therefore, they do not prescribe the type of activities that will be considered for funding, provided that the funded activities support issues and challenges related to both people and great apes.
Grant from Small Grants Initiative
- The overall grant budget is $60,000 to fund small grants in all three target countries. Applicants are encouraged to apply for small grants of between $2,000 and $7,500, however this could be up to a maximum of $10,000 if the case is well justified. They prioritise support to smaller organisations that may find it more difficult to access funds from other sources.
Eligibility for Small Grants Initiative
- Open to activities that support people and great ape conservation in three great ape range states: Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.
- The small grants initiative is keen to fund projects which foster collaboration between or within different networks of organisations, groups and individuals.
- Some examples of activities the smalls grants initiative will not support include: sensitisation/education projects; tree planting projects; law enforcement; project evaluations; water and sanitation projects or equipment needs.
To be considered for funding, the application needs to meet the following criteria:
- Clear benefit from the project for people and great apes.
- Activities must take place in Cameroon, DRC or Uganda.
- Activities must be led by local or Indigenous organisations, associations or groups.
- Reasonable and cost-effective budget.
Application of Small Grants Initiative
Applications are encouraged to be submitted by 15 June 2023. Applications received after this date may still be considered if the total budget for small grants has not yet been fully spent.
There are two stages involved in applying for the small grants initiative.
Stage 1: Send in responses to the following questions (up to 750 words if submitting a written application or up to five minutes if submitting a video or recorded application).
Stage 1 application questions:
The PCLG team is able to review applications in French and English, as well as Rukiga and Rufumbira in Uganda and Baka and Bagyéli in Cameroon.
- Firstly, Your details (name, email address, telephone number, etc.)
- Secondly, Name of your organisation
- Is your organisation legally registered in your country? If so, let them what type of organisation you are registered as (e.g. association, enterprise, cooperative, NGO). Note that you can still apply for a small grant if your organisation is not legally registered.
- Do you have an organisational bank account? (do not provide bank details at this stage).
- Country in which the funded activities will take place.
- Problem related to people and great ape conservation which you would like to address, and the reasons why this is a priority.
- Moreover, Proposed activities – tell us why this is the best way to tackle this problem.
- Lastly, Amount requested and preferred currency.
You can submit your answers to these questions in several ways – pick the method that works best for you:
If you are unable to apply via these methods, contact organisers. And they will support you to submit your application or arrange a call to speak to you.
STAGE 2: If your idea is preselected for stage 2, they will be in touch to ask for more details. If your idea is unsuccessful in reaching stage 2, they will be in touch to let you know.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.