Applications are open for the Responsible Computer Science Challenge 2023. Through the Responsible Computer Science Challenge, USAID and Mozilla are supporting the conceptualization, piloting, and scaling of curricula that integrate interdisciplinary perspectives with computer science training.
This process will educate a new wave of technologists to account for the human consequences of technology design and use, to reimagine the technology ecosystems, and to build a better future. The hope is that these educational experiences will provide future technologists with the historical and social context they need to better understand the impact of their work and equip them with frameworks to build responsible trustworthy technologies.
Awards from Responsible Computer Science Challenge
- The Responsible Computer Science Challenge plans to award 10 grants from a pool of $250,000 USD to innovation hubs and accredited institutions of higher education in Kenya that embed ethics into computer science programmes and curricula.
Eligibility for Responsible Computer Science Challenge
The Responsible Computer Science Challenge is open to accredited institutions of higher education and innovation hubs based in Kenya.
Institutions of Higher Education
- The Principal Investigator (PI) listed on the award application must be an individual who is eligible to receive grants within a computer science, information science / technology, data science, sociology, science and technology studies and allied department or programme.
- The PI may work individually to execute the outlined concept if funded or with a collaborative, cross-disciplinary team with members both inside and outside of the institution of higher education. Such teams can include representatives from across departments, student researchers, industry partners and independent researchers.
- The Responsible Computer Science Challenge also supports the development of educational materials or training workshops at innovation hubs that directly help students and builders incorporate social and political perspectives in the design of new technologies. Principal investigators from innovation hubs should be contracted staff members who are authorized to plan and execute events for the hub’s networks.
- Though cross-institutional teams allowed (i.e. collaborations among multiple institutions of higher education and innovation hubs), if funded, award payments will only be made to the lead applicant organization with whom an award agreement will be signed.
Challenge submissions judged by a panel of experts from academic, nonprofit. And for-profit organizations working in the fields of computer science, ethics, technology, and other experts from related domain areas. Selection criteria are designed to evaluate the merits of the proposed concept. The review criteria are as follows:
- Vision Alignment to RCS: Does the proposed concept align with RCS’ goals of educating a new wave of engineers who bring holistic thinking—as well as diversity and equity—to the design of technology products?
- Feasibility: How feasible is the outlined concept? How likely is the project team to be successful in implementing this approach?
- Impact: How will this approach prepare students to understand the impact of computing work and equip them with frameworks to build better, more trustworthy, and less harmful technologies?
- Movement Building: Does this applicant help to engage new and diverse perspectives in the conversation about ethics and technology?
- Working Open: How will you document and share your concept with local and global audiences and community of practices? How might you engage students, professors from other disciplines, university administrators, innovation hubs, non-profits, start-ups, government entities, or other organizations to help shape the design of your concept?
Application of Responsible Computer Science Challenge
Applications in Kenya is now open with the required Letter of Intent due December 15, 2022 Midnight EAT and final application due January 17, 2023 Midnight EAT.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.