UNWTO Best Tourism Villages is a global initiative to highlight those villages where tourism preserves cultures and traditions, celebrates diversity, provides opportunities, and safeguards biodiversity.
Eligibility for Villages
Only UNWTO Member states will be eligible to participate.
- Low population density, and a maximum of 15,000 inhabitants.
- Be located in a landscape with an important presence of traditional activities such as agriculture, forestry, livestock, or fishing.
- Share community values and lifestyles.
- Cultural and Natural Resources
- Promotion and Conservation of Cultural Resources
- Economic Sustainability
- Social Sustainability
- Environmental Sustainability
- Tourism Development and Value Chain Integration
- Governance and Prioritization of Tourism
- Infrastructure and Connectivity
- Health, Safety, and Security
Launch: 28 March 2022
Application by the Member States: 28 March 2022- 28 June 2022
Selection Process by Advisory Board: 28 June 2022- December 2022
Announcement: December 2022
How to Apply?
- Applications should exclusively be presented online by UNWTO Members States (National Tourism Administrations).
- Read carefully the Terms and Conditions.
- Read carefully the Guidelines for Application.
- Also, read carefully the Word version of the Application form.
- Fill out the Candidacy Document and upload it in the corresponding section of the Online Application Form.
- Prepare a general presentation following the proposed structure in the General Presentation Template and also upload it in the corresponding section of the Online Application Form.
- Moreover, provide the supporting visual files requested in the Online Application Form.