Applications are open for the Wiki Loves Africa 2022. Wiki Loves Africa is an annual contest where anyone across Africa can contribute media that relates to that year’s theme to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wiki Loves Africa encourages participants to contribute media (photographs, video and audio) that illustrate the specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes. Each year’s theme is chosen by the community to be a universal, visually-rich and culturally-specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
2022 Theme – Home and Habitat
The theme Home and Habitat calls for the submission of visual representations of home, habitat. The theme celebrates the diversity and unique spaces and places both humans and animals alike consider home. Those quarters, lodgings, rooms, addresses, locations, dens, nests, burrows and caves. Those places of safety and peace where people and animals can relax, recover, rest, reconnect with family and community, and where they can fully express themselves, their tastes, their identity and heritage.
Prizes from Wiki Loves Africa
There are several prizes up for grabs for quality entries:both at a national and international level. At the international level, there are 6 main prize categories for Wiki Loves Africa.
The international prizes are :
- 1st prize: $2,000
- 2nd prize: $1,500
- 3rd prize: $1,000
- Culturally specific or traditional representations of home, houses or spaces of living: $750
- Prize for best quality video (audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account): $1,000
- Special collection (a series of images that tell a story): $750
Each winner will also receive a pack of Wiki Loves Africa-branded merchandise.
Eligibility for Wiki Loves Africa
- Open to anyone across Africa;
- All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. Unless, they are uploaded during a registered mass upload session. Your image must have your name, username or nom de plume on the uploaded file.
- You can enter media that was taken at any time, even historic photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs or they are in the public domain), but they must be uploaded during those dates. Photographs that are already on Commons and re-uploaded are not eligible.
- Participants must be registered on Wikimedia Commons and be contactable. Please enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons when registering so they can contact you if your image is chosen for a prize.
- All entries submitted to the contest must be under a free licence (or in the public domain). In most cases, the photo will automatically be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0).
- Images that are less than 2MB or have watermarks or embedded signatures will not be eligible.
- Pictures or media must be categorised under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2022 to be eligible.
- To be considered for the video prize, the file must be uploaded in a video format (.ogg, .ogv, or .webm) that is accepted on Wikimedia Commons. Please note that the audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account for your file to be eligible for a prize.
Application of Wiki Loves Africa
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.