Application call for 2024 Youth Leadership Program in USA (Fully Funded). The program will be held from June 30-July 24, 2024.
The Youth Leadership Program with Algeria (YLPA) is a leadership development opportunity for Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange takes place every summer in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC. The Northern Nevada International Center has coordinated the exchange for 15 consecutive years.
YLPA employs a highly interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation and the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy, as well as the role that social enterprises play in a community. Participants will stay with an American host family and have the opportunity to engage with and learn from their host family throughout the program. This program is fully funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
The program is comprised of an intensive training schedule that includes highly academic workshops, project planning, team-building activities, and cultural activities. After the completion of the U.S.-based program, participants are required to complete a post-program service project in their local communities. Participants can expect to be in programming sessions from 8 to 12 hours each day.
Benefits of 2024 Youth Leadership Program in USA
This program will provide the following for all youth and adult participants:
- Transportation to and from the in-person interview at the U.S. Embassy in Algiers;
- All program transportation (transportation to and from the pre-departure orientation in Algiers, flights to and from Algeria, all transportation in the U.S.);
- All food (three meals and day and snacks) and lodging in the U.S. and Algeria as part of the program (from the pre-departure orientation in Algiers to your return to Algeria);
- Admission to all cultural visits; and
- Participant insurance that covers the cost of any non-pre-existing medical emergencies while in the U.S.
Eligibility for 2024 Youth Leadership Program in USA
For Algerian Youth Applicant
- Be a legal citizen of Algeria;
- Be 15, 16 or 17 years old on the program start date of June 30, 2024;
- Have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining;
- Have sufficient proficiency in English to understand academic discussions and everyday social interactions;
- Have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities;
- Have an interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and have good academic performance;
- Have permission from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to participate in the entire program.
For Algerian adult applicants
- Be legal citizens of Algeria;
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities;
- Be community leaders;
- Have excellent English;
- Be committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States to assist in the implementation of community projects;
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required staff will travel with you to the U.S.); and
- Be committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!