Applications are open for the Union for International Cancer Control Young Leaders Program 2023. UICC is encouraging mid-career cancer control professionals, who have contributed to progress in cancer control in their country or region and are motivated to expand their influence to drive impact globally, to apply for the 2023-24 cycle of its Young Leaders programme.
Up to 10 participants will be selected to learn more about global cancer control, work on projects involving priority topics in cancer, and attend UICC’s two flagship international events: the World Cancer Leaders’ Summit and World Cancer Congress.
Benefits from Cancer Control Young Leaders Program
- Recognition and visibility within the global cancer control community.
- Travel support to attend the invite-only World Cancer Leaders’ Summit and participate at the World Cancer Congress.
- Access to dedicated learning on global cancer control and leadership.
- Individual accompaniment from the UICC team to access relevant learning and networking opportunities.
Eligibility for Cancer Control Young Leaders Program
To be eligible for the programme, applicants must:
- Be 40 years old or younger at the application deadline (i.e. 25 May 2023).
- Be able to communicate in English for successful interaction at an international level.
- Have worked professionally in cancer control for at least 5 years.
While the programme welcomes candidates from a broad array of backgrounds and diverse areas of focus across the cancer control continuum, the profile Young Leaders would ideally have in common is that of:
- A mid-career cancer control professional with a track record of advancing cancer control from a public health perspective in their local context,
- With a multidisciplinary and collaborative outlook that goes beyond their individual area of expertise,
- And with the ambition and potential to help drive impact in cancer control on a broader global or regional scale.
By applying, and if selected to the programme, candidates commit to:
- Actively engage in the programme over the course of the year (September 2023 – September 2024), setting aside the time necessary to regularly join group calls, take virtual classes and carry out sub-group project work (UICC estimates a participant will need to spend on average 4 to 5 hours a month on Young Leaders’ related activities over the course of the programme).
- Be available to attend the World Cancer Leaders’ Summit in Long Beach (USA) from 15 to 17 October 2023 and the World Cancer Congress in Geneva (Switzerland) from 17 to 19 September 2024 (with attendance at both events supported by UICC).
- Demonstrate collaborative and supportive spirit in participating in group activities and sub-group project work.
- Be responsive to programme-related administrative requests from UICC (for example in relation to travel grants, or measurement and evaluation) and open to engage in relevant UICC communication activities (e.g. blogs, interviews, social media messages, quotes, etc.).
- Generally act in good faith as a UICC ambassador, upholding the UICC’s mission, vision and values.
Application of Cancer Control Young Leaders Program
Applicants must complete an online form, submit a full CV, and provide one reference letter of support (from anyone with a professional relationship with the applicant, whether from the same organisation or not). The online application requires answering the following questions:
- Introduce yourself and describe your motivation to apply for the UICC’s Young Leaders programme. What are you hoping to gain from this experience? (max 300 words)
- Tell them more about your current role and/or areas of expertise. Why would you benefit from engagement at global cancer control level at this stage in your career? (max 500 words)
- Elaborate on your long-term professional ambitions and career goals. What is your career vision? (max 300 words)
- Describe a time you have demonstrated strong leadership or impact to advance cancer control from a public health perspective. (max 300 words)
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.