2024 European Parliament Traineeships Program
2024 European Parliament offers a comprehensive traineeship program comprising two main branches: the Schuman Traineeships in the Secretariat and the Traineeships with Members of the European Parliament (MEPs). The Schuman Traineeships, named after Robert Schuman, a pioneer of European integration, provide a unique opportunity for individuals to immerse themselves in the dynamic and multifaceted landscape of EU governance and policy-making. These paid traineeships can be pursued at various European Parliament offices in Brussels, Luxembourg, and Strasbourg, as well as in the Parliament’s Liaison Offices across Member States.
Positive Action Scheme for Trainees with Disabilities
- The Schuman Traineeships program also incorporates the Positive Action Scheme, which prioritizes the inclusion of individuals with disabilities. Successful candidates under this scheme may receive additional financial support to cover related expenses.
Schuman Recruitment and Development Programme
Notably, the Schuman Recruitment and Development Programme offers an exceptional pathway for outstanding trainees to transition into roles within the European Parliament, subject to successful completion of their initial traineeship and assessment tests.
Traineeships with Members of the European Parliament (MEPs)
For those interested in traineeships with MEPs, a separate program is available, providing candidates with the opportunity to gain insights into the operations of the Members of the European Parliament.
- The Schuman traineeships last between six weeks and five months.
- Trainees are paid a monthly grant of between EUR 912 and EUR 1495, depending on their qualifications and experience.
- The European Parliament is an equal opportunities employer.
- Comprehensive information about the program is available on the European Parliament website.
- The Trainee Outreach and Recruitment Unit serves as the primary point of contact for any additional inquiries regarding the Schuman traineeships.
“It might catch your attention to investigate”
Benefits for 2024 European Parliament Traineeships Program
- Gain valuable experience in the world of European politics and policy-making.
- Learn about the work of the European Parliament and its various committees.
- Make contacts with people from all over Europe.
- Enhance your CV and make yourself more competitive in the job market.
- Develop your skills and knowledge in a variety of fields, such as EU policies, law, finance, communication, IT, and administration.
- Receive a monthly grant to cover your living expenses.
- Be eligible for additional financial support to cover disability-related expenses (through the Positive Action Scheme for Trainees with Disabilities).
- Have the opportunity to transition into a role within the European Parliament after successful completion of the traineeship and assessment tests (through the Schuman Recruitment and Development Programme).
Eligibilities for 2024 European Parliament Traineeships Program
- Be a citizen of an EU member state, accession country, or candidate country.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a university-level diploma (at least a Bachelor’s degree).
- Have a good command of English or French (both languages are required for certain traineeships).
- Not have worked for more than two consecutive months within an EU institution or body.
Eligible Regions: EU member state
In order to apply, please visit their traineeship application page:
- select and apply for a maximum of three traineeships;
- if you are shortlisted, you will be required to provide certain supporting documents to prove your eligibility;
- if you are selected, you will get an official Admission Letter via email.
The Schuman traineeships are awarded for a period of five months:
- Traineeship period 1 October-28/29 February
- you can apply from 1 to 31 May
- Traineeship period 1 March-31 July
- you can apply from 1 to 31 October
Spontaneous applications will not be considered.
To submit an application, it is necessary to contact directly the Members of the European Parliament.
The duration of the traineeship is between six weeks and five consecutive months and is decided on by the Member of Parliament who awards the traineeship. It can start at any time during the year.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2024