Applications are open for the Next Einstein Forum Ambassadors Program 2022-2024. The NEF Ambassadors are young STEM champions under 42 years, one from each African country, who drive the NEF’s public engagement activities.
These activities include the NEF Africa Science Week programme while growing their own careers through the NEF’s partnerships that offer opportunities for mentorship and collaborations with established researchers. The NEF Ambassadors have a 2-year mandate.
The Next Einstein Forum (NEF) is a public engagement initiative of the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS). Launched in 2013, the NEF was born out of a recognition that there was no gathering on African soil where the very best actors had the opportunity to come together from their diverse communities of science, industry, civil society, and policy, from Africa and around the world, to leverage science for global development.
- Act as a NEF Ambassador representing your own country at NEF events;
- Organize the annual NEF Africa Science Week in their respective countries;
- Write original content and cross-post content for the NEF, including but not limited to blog articles, news updates on STEM in one’s local community, profiles of scientists in your community, and other activities to promote the NEF;
- Be part of the NEF Community of Scientists;
- Talk positively about the NEF to people whenever you can;
- Actively promote the NEF to your social media following and regularly contribute ideas to the NEF team about ways to keep the online community informed and interested in the NEF;
- You are expected to spend a total of between 1 to 2 hours per week writing, editing, posting updates, news and articles related to STEM in Africa and the NEF, and conversing with NEF Fellows and the scientific community at large. The hours may increase during the week of the NEF Global Gathering and the Africa Science Week;
- Make presentations to students, audiences, special classes and events about the NEF and STEM in Africa; and
- Other responsibilities suggested and recommended by you.
Benefits from Next Einstein Forum
- Attend the prestigious, invitation-only NEF Global Gathering alongside Nobel Prize winners, Heads of State and Government, and representatives from leading global corporations and civic society. Ambassadors will receive paid travel expenses to the NEF Global Gathering event;
- Participate in interviews, panels, and the showcasing of research, NEF work, and articles on STEM and innovation, among other events during/following the NEF Global Gathering;
- Have the opportunity to organize the annual NEF Africa Science Week in your country;
- NEF Ambassadors will receive significant exposure to the NEF readership community;
- Have the opportunity to network with other experts, NEF Ambassadors and NEF Fellows, as well as top scientists, social scientists and technology leaders from around the world;
- Become a member of the prestigious NEF Community of Scientists;
- After completing your tenure, have the opportunity to apply for the NEF Fellows programme;
- Have the opportunity to influence STEM and innovation policy through NEF articles and documents and share their own work; and
- Get the chance to pitch their own projects and ideas to high-profile NEF members and contribute to the establishment of a positive global view of science in Africa.
Eligibility for Next Einstein Forum
- Applicant must be 42 years of age or less (Born on/after January 1, 1980);
- Resident and citizen of an African country with a history of leadership and engagement in the residing community;
- Advanced studies or professional certificates, personal projects, demonstrated entrepreneurial and innovation achievements, and similar—a PhD is not necessarily required;
- Applicants are encouraged from all fields of STEM, including basic sciences, health sciences as well as social science fields;
- Outstanding writing and critical thinking capabilities, and be comfortable working in a collaborative environment;
- Demonstrated passion for raising Africa’s profile in STEM and/or social sciences;
- Having an active work/study profile demonstrated through an active online and/or social media presence; and
- Able to clearly communicate to an audience in English or French.
A panel of eminent scientists including members of the NEF Scientific Program Committee (SPC) will do the selection. The selection process will aim for the following:
- At least 40% of selected NEF Ambassadors are women;
- The applicant must be in their country of residence during the programme; and
- The scoring process will take into account the following:
- (20%)—Advanced studies or professional certificates, personal projects, demonstrated entrepreneurial achievements and similar—a PhD is not necessarily required
- Outstanding academic qualifications, as measured by the standards of the particular academic discipline. Examples of notable achievements include:
- Publication record;
- Prizes and other awards, such as especially distinguished fellowships or memberships in prestigious academic circles (for example, in high-ranking committees, bodies, academies, etc.);
- Independently raised funding from outside sources in a competitive process;
- Number of patents; and
- The type and number of invited talks at international conferences.
- (20%)—Demonstrated passion for promoting the sciences, including STEM or social science in Africa;
- (20%)—Outstanding writing and keen critical thinking capabilities, and be comfortable working in a collaborative environment and the ability to clearly communicate to an audience in English or French;
- (30%)—You must have an active presence either on one of the social media channels or in a reputable organization in your community. This criterion involves having a strong audience and consistent engagement with your followers; and
- (10%)—Other distinctive characteristics.
Application of Next Einstein Forum
All sections must be filled out completely and accurately by applicants. The deadline to submit the application with all supporting documents is October 24, 2022.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.