UN calls application for Environment Affairs Internship in Bangkok, Thiland. The Environment and Development Division, Sustainable Urban Development Section internship is for 2 months with an opportunity for extension up to 6 months, if required by the division. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The Sustainable Urban Development Section works with member States and key stakeholders to promote sustainable and inclusive urban development in Asia and the Pacific through a programme of work focused on: (i) developing and disseminating knowledge products that foster enhanced awareness and informed decision-making; (ii) providing technical assistance and supporting capacity development; (iii) strengthening intergovernmental processes; and (iv) networking and partnership development,
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background and the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Provide succinct analysis of current and emerging issues and trends of urban development processes in the Asia-Pacific region (30%)
- Conduct research and identify case studies on urban policies and programmes and their impact on inclusive, sustainable and resilient development in the Asia-Pacific region (30%)
- Assist with various tasks linked to organizational and substantive dimensions of programme and project implementation (20%)
- Also, provide support to organize and conduct meetings relevant to the work of the section, including the drafting of documents, preparation for and backstopping of Intergovernmental meetings, and follow-up activities (10%)
- Participate in day-to-day operational tasks of the Section, such as servicing requests for information, support for developing presentations, updating of web pages on the section’s work etc (10%)
The United Nations Core Competencies include:
- Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written as well as oral language skills.
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national as well as cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; however, is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability as well as limitation of technology to the work of the office; further, actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is desirable for the internship. Further, Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- Likewise, be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Further, have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation.
- For this internship position, degree or study in the field of data analytics or relevant fields is preferable.
- However, applicants do not require to have professional work experience for participation in the programme;
How To Apply
Candidates may apply for the internship position at UN if they meet the eligibility Criteria. Further, they will require to make an online submission to apply for the Economic Affairs Internship at UN. The online submission will require interns to submit their most recent CV along with a covering letter.
To apply for the Internship at UN, applicants will require to submit their application well before deadline. Moreover, UN has set the deadline for Environment Affairs Internship as 31 August 2019.