Facebook calls applications for is seeking a Performance and Capacity Engineer to undertake an Internship in the United Kingdom. Moreover, this is a 12 week summer internship based in London, starting June 2021. The intern will join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team to focus on future performance and capacity scaling problems. This person would be required to cross-functionally work with a number of teams to ensure efficient operation and growth of the computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective.
Performance and Capacity Engineer undertaking this Facebook Internship in the United Kingdom will
- Solve the hardest software performance issues: develop cutting edge software and work closely with other software developers to improve code base performance (e.g. algorithm redesign), reduce resource consumption, and shorten request latency.
- Tackle the state-of-the-art hardware performance issues and develop industry leading solutions to analyze and debug difficult server performance issues, identify bottlenecks, and optimize product/service performance.
- Similarly, develop the coolest tools to monitor billions of user requests: Write monitoring, reporting, and data aggregation tools to do performance and capacity-related load test to track, report, and analyze regressions.
- Explore and develop novel solutions to scale the largest web capacity in the world: Work with Services, Product, Data, and Infrastructure teams to scale the data center infrastructure including tens of billions of user requests, hundreds of petabytes of data, and thousands of Gb/s of network flow.
- Also, own end-to-end product design, launch, and operation; Support architecture design, define networking requirements and help build systems from scratch to support new product launches.
- Provide the deepest visibility to Facebook products and services; Run capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various service tiers.
- Furthermore, a lot of other cool work: Identify capacity-related issues proactively and work with Systems, Network, Application Operations, and Engineering teams to discover resolutions.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a Bachelors’s, Masters’s, Ph.D. (or equivalent) degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical fields.
- Experience in coding and scripting languages such as C, C++ or Python.
- Interpersonal and communication skills as well as experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working in large-scale computing infrastructures preferred.
- In addition to that, experience working cross-functionally with a number of teams.
Facebook, Inc. is an American social media and technology company based in Menlo Park, California. It is one of the Big Four technology companies along with Amazon, Apple, and Google. Facebook is one of the world’s most valuable companies.