Applications are now open for Local Government Internship 2020 in Canada (Receive up to $35,000). The Local Government Internship program provides grant funding for municipalities and regional districts within Northern Development’s service area to assist with the cost of hosting a local government intern for a 12-month period. Apply for the Paid Internship now!
Furthermore, the Northern Development Initiative Trust board, regional advisory committees, and staff have a passion for growing the economy of central and northern British Columbia. When the Premier of British Columbia announced the Northern Development Initiative Trust, it was on the premise that “The best economic development decisions for the North should be made in the North.”
Further, the Northern Development is an independent, non-profit corporation; a catalyst stimulating economic growth through investments in grassroots, community-led projects.
Moreover, the internship program provides a high level of professional development and training that will prepare recent graduates for a career in local government.
Objectives of Local Government Internship 2020 in Canada
The internship program objectives are:
- Accelerate operational learning and permanent career placement in local government
- Provide results-focused professional training with Northern Development Initiative Trust and host communities
- Similarly, make local government career of choice by financially supporting internship opportunities for post-secondary graduates
- Likewise, promote career development, advancement opportunities and quality of life in Northern B.C.
- Also, help interns develop competencies essential to local government administration
- Up to $30,000 will go toward the salary of the intern.
- Host communities are required to provide a minimum of $10,000 toward the salary of the intern to support a minimum base salary of $40,000.
- Similarly, the local government must pay statutory benefits that include CPP, EI premiums and 4% vacation pay (or provide vacation days) in addition to the salary and may choose to offer additional benefits (medical, dental, etc.) to the intern
- Also, there is a $5,000 allowance to support registration and travel costs related to training and professional development for the intern.
- Likewise, participation in the Municipal Administrators Training Institute (MATI) Foundations course is a requirement of the internship. Northern Development will pay the MATI registration fee. Further, the remaining balance of the training and travel allowance can be used to support further training and professional development opportunities identified by the host local government.
All municipalities and regional districts within the Northern Development Initiative Trust region are eligible to apply to host an intern. Northern Development staff will review all applications from local governments for this program to ensure that all criteria are met. The criteria are:
- Demonstrated willingness to provide training in, and exposure to, a range of local government duties/responsibilities
- Likewise, a 12-month work plan, submitted with the application, that demonstrates exposure to multiple departments and proposed projects to be undertaken by the intern
- Position description submitted with the application
- Demonstrated organizational commitment to the vision and goals of the program
- Strong council/board and administration relationship exists
- A chief administrative officer or senior manager has agreed to serve as the mentor throughout the internship
- Financial contribution toward the intern’s salary and expenses
- Similarly, commitment to provide mentoring, training and professional development opportunities for the intern and a commitment to a positive work environment
- Likewise, host local government agrees that any disciplinary issues will be managed in collaboration Northern Development
- Provide an interim and/or final report to Northern Development using the provided template
How to apply for the Local Government Internship 2020 in Canada?
All applicants must send their application package with completion to the official email of the Northern Development Initiative Trust.