Paid WHO Internship 2020 in Switzerland, WHO opens internship opportunities for 2020 in Switzerland Epidemic Intelligence Development and Innovation (EDI) Data Science – Detection, Verification, and Risk Assessment, WHO Health Emergencies Programme in Switzerland. The duration of this internship will be 12 weeks. It will start at any point between the 6th of January 2020 to 30 June 2020.
The intern will be doing the following things in order to contribute to the Detection, Verification and Risk Assessment (DVA) unit of WHO Health Emergencies Programme (WHE.
- Support the detection and monitoring of potential events of public health concern to understand the implementation of the Epidemic Intelligence from Open Sources (EIOS) system.
- Support the development and evaluation of solutions for public health intelligence needs.
- Review literature and undertake research and data collection on specific areas.
- Support other administrative, technical, and scientific activities of the Detection, Verification, and Risk Assessment Unit, as agreed between the supervisor and the intern.
Benefits of WHO Internship 2020 in Switzerland
The intern will have the opportunity to
- Understand the objectives of the Detection, Verification, and Risk Assessment unit within the Health Emergencies Programme.
- Understand the difference of work between WHO headquarters, regional offices and country offices regarding detection, verification and risk assessment of acute public health events.
- Likewise, become familiar with public health intelligence and early warning objectives and methods used across the three levels of WHO.
- Similarly, learn how to review current literature around public intelligence, event-based surveillance, digital disease detection and big data for public health.
- Gain experience working with existing and evolving databases to understand the role of data in improving public health intelligence.
- Must have completed three years of full-time studies (bachelor’s level or equivalent) at a university or equivalent institution prior to commencing the assignment.
- AND be enrolled in a course of study at a university or equivalent institution leading to a formal qualification. (Similarly, applicants who have already graduated may also qualify for consideration provided that they apply to the internship within six months after completion of their formal qualification).
- Interns need to be familiar with commonly used computer programs, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Knowledge of specialized computer programs such as statistical software may be an advantage.
- Furthermore, strong knowledge of the English language. In addition to that, knowledge of French preferred.
All the applicants apply through the official website. Similarly, applicants need to fill and submit the online application form along with a CV/Resume and a cover letter.