The United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific invites application for the Statistics Internship Program in Thailand. SIAP is a regional institution of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP). It is guided by the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics and the Principles Governing International Statistical Activities and by the work program and membership of ESCAP, including through the Governing Council of the institute. SIAP’s mandates arise from a number of General Assembly, ECOSOC and ESCAP resolutions.
UN internships are for a minimum period of two months and may be extended to a maximum of six months, depending on the needs of UNRCPD and the willingness of applicants. In addition to that, the internship is unpaid and full-time where interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a professional staff member.
- Support work on the management of the regional programs, including assistance with program monitoring and evaluation and other tasks as required.
- Undertake a review of the literature on theoretical frameworks, indicators and country practices.
- Contribute to the drafting of research papers and technical documents.
- Participate in the substantive servicing of expert group meetings, seminars and training workshops.
- Conduct a comparative review of various indicator lists available at the national, regional and international levels; identify data sources to compile indicators; select and implement methods for data processing for data storage and incorporation into databases.
- Perform other tasks as required.
The incumbent will be involved in one or more of the following areas.
- The regional program on economic statistics.
- The regional program on environment statistics.
- The regional program on population and social statistics.
- The regional program on gender statistics.
- The assessment of progress in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals in Asia-Pacific.
Applicants to the United Nations Internship Programme, at the time of application, must meet one of the following requirements
- Be enrolled in a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher, i.e. Master’s or equivalent, PhD or post-graduate degree.
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Have graduated with a university degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD or equivalent) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
Candidates must apply online for this statistics internship in the United Nations. Interested applicants must submit an online application and Cover Note which must include
- Title of degree that candidate is currently pursuing
- Graduation Date (when s/he will be graduating from the program)
- List the IT skills and programs that candidate is proficient in
- In addition to that, an explanation of why s/he is the best candidate for this role. Similarly, an explanation of their interest in the United Nations.