The United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific invites application for Statistics Internship Program 2019. SIAP is a regional institution of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP). It is guided by the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics and the Principles Governing International Statistical Activities, and by the work programme and membership of ESCAP, including through the Governing Council of the institute. SIAP’s mandates arise from a number of General Assembly, ECOSOC and ESCAP resolutions.
SIAP provides practical training to official statisticians with the aim to strengthen the capacity of national statistical systems to produce, analyse and disseminate statistics that meet the needs of a wide range of users, as well as the statistical training capability of the former. SIAP works closely with ESCAP’s Statistics Division in implementing the statistics subprogramme of the commission, the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, other United Nations entities, and numerous subregional, regional and international organizations.
The United Nations SIAP Statistics internship is for at least two months with an opportunity for extension up to six months, if required by the institute. The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
- Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct research into and assist in the design and development of modern approaches to statistics training and adult learning
- Review, update as necessary, and organize existing training material
- Assist in developing and designing new training material
- Further, Assist in the delivery of instructor-led and online training courses
- Assist in the further development of the institute’s learning management system
- Review country strategies for the development of statistics, indicator frameworks, data availability to track progress to internationally agreed development goals, in particular the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as well as indicator data sources and compilation / disaggregation methods
- Participate in the substantive servicing of sessions of the institute’s Governing Council and meetings of the Network for the Coordination of Statistical Training in Asia and the Pacific
The United Nations Core Competencies include:
- Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written as well as oral language skills.
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national as well as cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programs or services; however, not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability as well as limitation of technology to the work of the office; further, actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows a willingness to learn new technology.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is desirable for the internship. Further, Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- Likewise, be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Further, have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation.
- For this internship position, degree or study in the field of data analytics or relevant fields is preferable.
- However, applicants do not require to have professional work experience for participation in the program;
How To Apply
Candidates may apply for the internship position at the UN if they meet the eligibility Criteria. Further, they will require to make an online submission to apply for the Statistics Internship at the UN. The online submission will require interns to submit their most recent CV along with a covering letter.
To apply for the Internship at the UN, applicants will require to submit their application well before the deadline. Moreover, the United Nations has set the deadline for Statistics Internship as 30 August 2019.