The African Development Bank invites application for 2020 cohort of Young Professionals Program (YPP). AfDB YPP targets High Potential, best-in-class talent young professionals with a strong passion for Africa’s development. The Program offers exceptional career opportunities to young professionals with leadership potential, an established record of outstanding academic and professional achievement to make a difference to the development of the African continent.
It is a three-year leadership opportunity for the development of the Bank’s future workforce and leaders. The Bank aims to attract highly qualified and motivated professionals from its member countries for a productive and rewarding career path in development. Through the YPP, the Bank ensures continuity and excellence in both the management of its work programs and the provision of policy advice to its RMCs.
For the 2020 Cohort, the AfDB offers 30 candidates the opportunity for the YPP.
Benefits of the African Development Bank Young Professionals Program
With the YPP Program, the African Development Bank offers the young talented professionals an optimal environment where they can receive:
- Coaching: During rotations, your coach will identify development areas for you in your current role.
- Mentoring & Sponsoring: Through mentoring and sponsoring, the Talent Councils will identify YPs who need to be fast-tracked for the succession plan for VPs and Director positions, decide on the projects to be conducted.
- A “Buddy-System”: You will be assigned a “Buddy” from the previous YP cohort, who will serve as a source of information and support during your familiarization with the Bank and country of assignment.
- YPP Coordination Team: the YPP team recruits, trains, evaluates performance and manage the rotation of the YP cohorts to ensure their successful completion of the Program.
- YP Liaison Team (YPLT): two representatives from the YP cohort will serve as an active link between all YP cohorts and the YPP Coordination team in the HR Department. The YPLT serves one year and also sits on the YPP Steering Committee.
Eligibility for the African Development Bank Young Professionals Program
In order to be eligible for the African Development Bank Young Professionals Program, the candidate must be:
- A citizen of a member country of the Bank.
- At most 32 years of age or younger by 1st May 2020.
- Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials.
- Likewise, have at least 3 years of work experience in the high priority areas (Hi-5s)
- Moreover, AfDB encourages candidates with coding, e-development, animation and platform designs, and maintenance skills.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries is a necessary requirement.
- Further, have a passion for Africa’s Development
- Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others. Work effectively in teams with displayed high adaptability to a diverse environment.
- Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results- orientation, and problem-solving capability.
- High business acumen and innovative mindset.
- Proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
- Also, have skills that enable you to work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves.
- Willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, as well as any other country in Africa where the Bank may require your services.
How to apply for the African Development Bank Young Professional Program
The application for admission to the African Development Bank Young Professionals Program is an online process. The YPP is a highly competitive program. Hence, AfDB encourages applicants to provide as much relevant information as possible.
While completing the application, the applicants must:
- Provide an email address; and an alternative one. Fill in correct e-mail address since this will be the main means of communication
- Answer all the questions
- Provide the most current contact information. Ensure that you email us with updated data, should your contacts change during the recruitment process
- Complete phone number (country code + city code + number)
- Upload the following required documents (mandatory):
- Maximum two-page Curriculum Vitae in Microsoft Word version.
- Copies of Academic Certificates/Transcripts.
- PhD Dissertation/Master’s Thesis topic (short summary), if applicable.
- You will be expected to write an essay of about 800 words.
African Development Bank accepts the application for the Young Professionals Program until November 13, 2019. Applications arriving after the deadline are invalid.