Applications for the Catapult Development Grant 2022 are now open. Catapult gives early support to propel projects forward that hold the promise of a story that should be uniquely told in film.
They provide development funding to documentary filmmakers who have a strong story to tell, have secured access, and are ready to create a fundraising piece to help unlock critical production funding. They enable filmmakers to develop their projects to the next level, at the early stage when funding is hard to find. They support powerful and moving storytelling, by filmmakers with a strong voice across a broad spectrum of subject matter.
Catapult Development Grant
- A $20,000 grant is given to the selected project.
Eligibility for Catapult Development Grant
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. Catapult does not fund student films.
- Documentaries must be 28 minutes or longer in length. They do not fund series.
- Animation is okay. Documentary/narrative hybrids will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Development funds must specifically be used for the process of completing a fundraising piece, which may include writing, shooting and editing once story and characters are in place.
- Applicants must own the copyright of their production, and have artistic, budgetary and editorial control over their project.
- Applicants should preferably have previous film or television production experience in a principal role (director, co-director, producer, co-producer) as demonstrated by submitting previously completed work sample. Applicants who have not yet produced or directed their own feature length documentary should demonstrate that they will be working with an experienced filmmaker in a principal role.
- Catapult only makes grants to 501(c)(3) organizations. In most cases, this will mean getting a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor for the project. A film production company or individual, including applicants from outside the US, may submit an application without a fiscal sponsor in place.
Selection Criteria of Catapult Development Grant
- Creative, artful, compelling and innovative storytelling techniques
- Strong story narrative at the core of the film
- A unique perspective or approach; use of humor a plus
- Contemporary relevance
- Feasibility of the project with respect to its budget, financing, schedule and scope
- Demonstrated ability of the creative team to have implemented previous projects
- Grant amount should have significant impact on development stage of the project
- Emphasis on the story not the lesson or agenda of the filmmaker
- Filmmakers must demonstrate credible access and rapport with the proposed subject(s) of the story.
- Originality of form, approach or content
- Potential of the project to generate public discourse and social engagement
Application of Catapult Development Grant
The development grant is currently open through August 31, 2022 at midnight PST.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.