Applications for the Charles Bullard Fellowship in Forest Research 2023-2024 are now open. This paid, 6-12-month fellowship is open to mid-career professionals with a compelling research project about trees, forests, people, & land.
The Charles Bullard fellowship supports advanced research and study by individuals who show promise of making an important contribution, either as scholars or administrators, to forestry and forest-related subjects including biology, earth sciences, economics, politics, administration, philosophy, humanities, the arts, or law. The fellowship is a highly competitive programme that only accepts 5 to 7 recipients a year from a large applicant pool.
Research areas include forest ecology, tree physiology, soil biogeochemistry and microbial ecology, forest resource management, conservation and biodiversity, land use planning, and public policy. Fellowships are occasionally awarded in the arts and environmental humanities. Please note that proposals in the arts and humanities must demonstrate a strong connection to the research at Harvard Forest.
Stipend from Charles Bullard Fellowship
- The Fellowships carry stipends up to $60,000; the amount of each award depends on the duration of the Fellowship. Fellows have the option of having the award paid either to themselves or to the Fellow’s employer.
- In most cases, the stipend will supplement income received for devoting a period to research, e.g., sabbatical leave pay for an individual in academic life, appointments with federal support for training of individuals in federal public service, or educational leave with pay for individuals in the private sector. Fellowships are not intended to provide significant funds for original research.
- All Bullard Fellows will be reimbursed for the costs of one round trip travel between their Fellowship site location and their home base. Reimbursement will be either the actual airfare or mileage (at rate determined by the IRS) between the two, whichever is lower. Bullards are responsible for the travel costs of any people accompanying them.
- Each Fellow award includes $500 in support for related supplies of their Bullard Fellowship Activities.
Eligibility for Charles Bullard Fellowship
- Open to individuals in mid-career who have established themselves in academia, public service, or in the private sector.
- For those in academic careers, preference is ordinarily given to holders of doctoral degrees, but others whose projects show promise of important contributions to forestry and forest studies, broadly defined, will be considered in terms of the likelihood that study and research at Harvard will help fulfill this promise.
- Judgments of the Committee are based primarily on the quality of the applicant’s professional accomplishments, academic record, and potential benefits from interaction with the Harvard Forest community and its institutional resources.
Application of Charles Bullard Fellowship
Fellowships may start at any time after September 1. Fellowships are typically 6 – 12 months in duration.
The application requires:
- A completed web-based application form
- Contact information for 3 references who can give a perspective on the applicant’s proposed program and their personal and professional qualifications for carrying it out. Recommenders should submit their recommendation letters for the 2023-2024 program via the secure online application system by October 15, 2022 (a 2 week grace period post deadline).
- A statement of research describing the applicant’s professional career to date, proposing a research program at Harvard and evaluating this program in terms of its potential contribution to the applicant’s future professional career (5 page single spaced maximum is requested).
- CV (no more than 5 pages) including the following:
- Colleges and universities; dates of attendance and degrees received
- Professional positions held since graduating college
- Academic prizes and honors, if any
- Significant books, articles, reports, etc.
- Significant education and outreach activities (NSF calls these “synergistic activities”)
- Artists should provide a link to an on-line portfolio of their work
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.