Applications are open for the Creative New Zealand Michael King Writer’s Fellowship 2023. The Fellowship is awarded every two years to an established New Zealand writer of literature, with a significant publication record, to work on a major project.
The Fellowship offers the fellow the time and resources to commit to a period of deep investigation, experimentation, or research in their practice, and towards a major writing project. The project must be completed between March 31, 2023 – March 31, 2025. You can apply for costs incurred only within this period. They do not fund retrospective or ongoing costs.
Funding from Michael King Writer’s Fellowship
The Fellowship provides $100,000 over two years to fund a writing project.
Funding can be used for project costs including:
- fees, stipends or wages
- travel and administration costs
Eligibility for Michael King Writer’s Fellowship
- You can apply if you are:
- an individual who is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
- an established writer of literature who has a strong national reputation for your writing and a significant publication record.
- A ‘strong reputation’ means you will have either:
- received critical acclaim for your work, for instance, having had significant works of literature published, or
- received a significant literary award or fellowship or been short-listed for literary awards.
- You cannot apply if:
- you have received the fellowship before.
- you are in breach of the conditions of a current funding agreement.
Assessment Criteria for Michael King Writer’s Fellowship
Your application is assessed by external peer assessors using the following criteria.
- Idea: Is it a strong idea? They look for the following indicators:
- The artistic aims are clearly expressed
- The idea is compelling
- The artistic outcome is likely to be high quality.
- Viability: Can it be achieved? They look for the following indicators:
- The process to achieve the idea is realistic and well planned
- The budget is thorough and accurate and considers fair remuneration for artists and practitioners
- The artist has sufficient experience to deliver a major project across the time period
- Strategic fit: Does it deliver to Creative New Zealand outcomes and the purposes of the fund? They look for the following indicators:
- The project delivers to the Strategic Outcome – High-quality New Zealand art is developed
- The writer’s publication record and national reputation is significant
Application of Michael King Writer’s Fellowship
Submit your application by 1:00 pm, Friday 17 February 2023 (or sooner if possible).
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.