Applications are open for the EJN Fellowships 2023 for Journalists to Cover the Seventh Global Environmental Facility (GEF) Assembly. This fellowship to the GEF’s Seventh Assembly, which will be held from August 22-26 in Vancouver, Canada, will strengthen journalists’ capacity to cover real-time changes to global environmental and climate financing instruments and their implications.
The Assembly is the governing body of the GEF that includes representatives of all 185 member countries and is responsible for reviewing and approving proposed amendments to the GEF’s general policies, operations, and documents such as the Instrument for the Establishment of the Restructured Global Environment Facility.
Selected journalists will get a front-row seat as more than 1000 attendees from around the world, including ministers, prominent environmentalists, government officials, business leaders, leaders of GEF agencies, civil society representatives and Indigenous Peoples, gather to make progress on adaption strategies, private sector engagement, financing solutions, and to forge new partnerships focused on addressing the drivers of ecological challenges under the overarching theme of “Healthy Planet, Healthy People.” The conference will include high-level roundtables, a Civil Society Forum on August 23, side events, and offer opportunities for participants to engage in environmental activities close to Vancouver.
Cost of EJN Fellowships
- EJN will cover non-refundable economy-class airfare, accommodation, meals, travel insurance, and transportation costs to participate in the fellowship.
- Organizers will also reimburse meals and other transport expenses acquired in transit, including COVID testing; facilitate the press accreditation process; and provide logistical support relating to the trip.
- Note that the process of obtaining any necessary visas is the Fellow’s individual responsibility, though they can reimburse visa costs. Journalists awarded fellowships are responsible for their own safety during travel, and for ensuring that they meet any requirements for travel and attendance, which may include proof of vaccine status and/or testing for COVID-19 before and during the conference.
Eligibility for EJN Fellowships
- Be a professional journalist from or representing an established media house from a low- or middle-income country.
- Have previous experience reporting on environmental issues. Experience covering climate and environmental financing is a plus.
- Have good command of the English language.
- Be available to arrive in Vancouver by August 21, 2023 and commit to staying to cover the full week of the Assembly and participate in all fellowship activities.
- Provide a letter of support from an editor or media outlet, committing to publish or broadcast any stories produced as a result of this fellowship. This is expected of both staffers and freelancers.
- Submit recent, relevant samples of their journalistic work, which can be uploaded as documents or web links. Work samples can be in any language as long as they are accompanied by a short English synopsis.
- Journalists can be of any age, but preference will be given to youth journalists (age 35 and under).
They are looking for applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrated experience covering environmental and climate topics.
- A clear and well-researched reporting plan for the conference, outlining the kinds of stories they will pursue from — and following — the conference, story ideas with the potential for impact and the audience reach of the proposed media outlet.
- A relationship with an established media house. They strongly encourage you to provide a signed letter of support from an editor agreeing to publish or broadcast work produced at the conference as part of your application.
EJN also considers the need to assemble a diverse cohort of journalists from different types of media houses and geographies.
Application of EJN Fellowships
Applications will be accepted until June 12, 2023. Decisions will be communicated before the end of June.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.