Yale Young Global Scholars is an unparalleled academic and leadership program at Yale University. Founded on the tenets of liberal arts the fully funded Yale Global Scholars program is renowned for its diverse and inclusive community and committed to increasing education access. It empowers the next generation of leaders by building a global community and designing interdisciplinary programs that foster intellectual curiosity, deepen understanding and inspire creative action across all borders.
Yale Young Global Scholars emphasizes an open, exploratory, and collaborative approach to learning. Our program is designed to allow students to experience learning in a variety of different university contexts, from large lectures to small seminars, and even the spontaneous learning that happens in dining halls and around campus.
With no grades or course credit, YYGS encourages students to approach all aspects of the program creatively with the understanding that they set their own limits. Students receive an electronic certificate of completion at the end of the session.
The diverse and inclusive community at YYGS enhances learning by inviting students to analyze issues from multiple perspectives. Living and learning alongside peers from around the world allows students to broaden their own world views by learning about countries and cultures they have never encountered before.
Living in Yale’s residential college gives students a taste of life at Yale University. Participants explore Yale’s campus and the surrounding area during their downtime.
Fully Funded Yale Young Global Scholars
For students with demonstrated financial need, Yale strives to ensure that the cost of attendance will not prevent anyone from anywhere in the world from participating in YYGS. YYGS is proud to be one of the only pre-college programs in the world that provide need-based financial aid equally to both domestic and international students. Moreover, the fully funded Yale Young Global Scholars offers up to 100% tuition discount (up to $6,300 USD). Students with demonstrated financial need can apply for YYGS need-based financial aid.
However, the fully funded Yale Young Global Scholars program doesn’t include the travel costs in need-based financial aid packages, except for those eligible as outlined on the Scholarships page.
Eligibility for the Fully Funded Yale Young Global Scholars
In order to apply to for the fully funded Yale Young Global Scholars program, the applicants must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- At least 15 years old by the application deadline.
- Likewise, able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Further, a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Be graduating in May/June 2020 or 2021 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2019 or 2020 from the Southern Hemisphere.
- Yales prefers the first-time participant in YYGS. If you have participated in any YYGS session during a previous summer (e.g., 2019, 2018), then you are not eligible to participate during YYGS 2020.
How to apply for the Yale Young Global Scholars?
In order to apply for the fully funded Yale Young Global Scholars program, candidates must, at first, be eligible for the program. Further, for need-based scholarship, the candidates must meet additional criteria.
Eligible candidates can apply online for the program online. Along with the online application, the candidates must also submit:
- Activities list
- One 500-word essay and one 200-word response
- Further, two “fast take” responses (140 characters each)
- Official school transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
- Application fee ($55 for Early Action, $70 for Regular Decision)
- YYGS will waive the application fee if it constitutes a significant financial burden for the student’s family. The fee waiver option is only available for students who apply for need-based financial aid using the YYGS online application.
- You must click the Finalize & Pay button on the “Review” page for your application to be considered.
- OPTIONAL: English fluency test scores (TOEFL or DuoLingo)
- OPTIONAL: Need-based financial aid
Yale accepts the application for the fully funded Young Global Scholars Program until November 12, 2019, for early action. While for regular action, the deadline for the application is January 15, 2020.