Open Society Foundation is offering scholarships to international doctoral students and university faculty from around the world. Civil Society Scholars are selected on the basis of their outstanding academic record as well as their active engagement with local communities, their potential to champion open society values in their home regions, and their ability to strengthen critical scholarship and academic networks within their fields.
About the Open Society Foundation:
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. They seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check. They help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights. They believe in fundamental human rights, dignity, and the rule of law. Also, they believe in a society where all people are free to participate fully in civic, economic, and cultural life.
Financial Benefit from Scholarships at Open Society Foundation
The scholarship covers the maximum funding requests of around $15000.
The scholarship supports academic research in any field of social sciences and humanities, but it will prioritize research that specifically addresses pressing societal issues within the following themes:
- defense against rising authoritarianism.
- sustainable development, climate action, and mitigating the effects of climate change.
- economic justice and worker rights.
- information democracy.
- addressing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on an applicant’s home country or region.
Eligibility Criteria for Scholarships at Open Society Foundation
- The applicant must be a citizen of one of the eligible countries: Yemen, Libya, Palestine, Egypt, Sudan, Tunisia, and Syria.
- The applicant must be a doctoral student in one of the eligible fields studying at accredited universities inside or outside of their home country or be one of the full-time faculty members (must have a minimum of a master’s degree) teaching at universities in their home country.
- Ineligible fields include business administration, management training, computer science, finance/banking, marketing, engineering, hard sciences (physics, biology, chemistry, etc.), mathematics, medical sciences, or teaching English as a foreign language/language instruction.
- Applicants with permanent resident status in, or dual citizenship with, Australia, Canada, the European Union, New Zealand, Nordic countries, the United Kingdom, and the United States are not eligible to apply.
- Students or faculty currently enrolled in master’s degree programs are not eligible to apply.
- Firstly, A letter of invitation from a faculty member or a senior administrator at the institution where your research will take place, if applicable to your project (scanned and attached to application).
- Secondly, An official letter from your academic institution confirming your enrollment status, department, and expected completion date.
- Thirdly, A personal reference letter from an academic or professional in your field in your home country who can speak to your accomplishments, future aspirations, and ties to your home country.
- Lastly, An academic reference letter from your academic supervisor supporting the research for which you seek funding. Supervisors should also confirm if the activity will need IRB/ethics committee approval prior to the activity taking place.
Selection Criteria for the Scholarship
- Selection will be made on the basis of proven academic excellence. And, the relevance of the project to the development of an open society in the applicant’s home country.
- The program does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, disability, pregnancy and maternity, or marriage and/or civil partnership.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to check the visa requirements of the host country (including the minimum level of funding required) before applying to the program.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.