Applications are open for the John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships 2023-2024 at Stanford University. Each year, the Fellowships bring together journalists from around the world to spend September-June at Stanford working on solutions to the most urgent problems facing journalism. If you aspire to be a leader who can help reimagine and transform journalism, apply to the programme.
A John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship has two primary components: Exploring and testing ideas for addressing a problem in journalism that is important to you, and identifying mindsets and tools needed to become a more resilient leader and change agent.
During the 10-month fellowship, they provide JSK Fellows individualized coaching, a cohort of their peers and guidance that sparks professional and personal transformation. In addition, fellows will have the time and freedom to tap into and explore the resources of this world-class university. They are especially interested in empowering those who are working to serve underrepresented communities.
Benefits from Knight Journalism Fellowships
- During the 10-month fellowship, they provide JSK Fellows with individual coaching, tailored workshops on leadership, a cohort of their peers, and guidance that sparks professional and personal transformation.
- Fellows also have the time and freedom to explore the resources of a world-class university. They help fellows to develop the leadership resilience and mindsets needed to effectively lead and navigate change for decades to come.
- JSK Fellows are welcomed as members of a global community working to improve journalism and gain new friendships, professional connections, and skills that will continue beyond the fellowship. They invest in each of their fellows as journalists — and as people — for life.
- They provide a stipend of $95,000, plus a housing supplement to help with your rent. In addition, for fellows with children up through high school graduation, they provide an additional supplemental payment. They also cover the cost of Stanford tuition for fellows and Stanford health insurance for fellows, spouses and children. They also help fellows find rental housing near campus.
Eligibility for Knight Journalism Fellowships
- U.S. and international journalists with digital-native and legacy news organizations, independent journalists, journalism entrepreneurs and journalism innovators.
- Applicants need to have at least five years of full-time professional work experience. They do not require applicants to have a college degree, or experience in traditional newsrooms.
- They generally do not accept applications from people working in public information or public relations jobs, for trade and house newsletters or magazines, for government agencies, or in academic positions.
- The fellowship does not fund or support book projects or reporting projects, and they are not a business accelerator.
Being a JSK Fellow is a full-time commitment. You will receive a monthly check, health insurance for you and your dependents, and be asked to forgo other professional work to focus on the fellowship experience.
You will be expected to:
- Be in residence at Stanford during the academic year, from September to June
- Dedicate yourself full-time to the fellowship
- Attend weekly meetings with your cohort and biweekly meetings with your adviser as well as other occasional JSK events
- Publicly share your work and insights throughout the year
- Work collaboratively with people who offer a range of ideas, experiences and perspectives.
Application of Knight Journalism Fellowships
Before beginning your application, familiarize yourself with the programme by reading the information on the Become a fellow page.
- The submission deadline for international applicants is 1 p.m., PST, Thursday, Dec. 1.
- The submission deadline for U.S. applicants is 1 p.m., PST, Wednesday, Jan. 25.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.