The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship is a life-changing leadership journey that combines financial support with a leadership program aiming to support young African changemakers.
The following are covered by the scholarship:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by your university or institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Also, accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- In addition, a personal allowance as set by the MRF
- Research and conferencing grants can be made available on request
- Moreover, economy-class flights for international scholars from their home countries to their institutions at the start and end of their studies
- between 19 and 29 years old
- citizen of any African country
- Also, have a first degree with above-average academic results (70% or upper second)
The program is looking for young Africans who have demonstrated the potential to embody it’s founding principles of reconciliation, education, entrepreneurship, as well as leadership.
You must have already assumed leadership and made an impact on your campus or community.
- Commit to full participation in the program activities. There will be three workshops in your first year in residence, and also two in your second year if you are on a two-year programme.
- Completing feedback forms and reflections timeously is a requirement, and an important component of your own learning.
- You must accept the scholarship for the year that it is offered
- You must have secured admission to your university of choice by January of your year in residence.
- Moreover, You may not do paid work for more than 12 hours a week.
- 21 April 2022: application deadline
- June 2022: notification of whether or not you are through to Round Two.
- July 2022: Notification of whether or not you are through to Round Three.
- August 2022: Invitation for an interview in the Final Round, or notification if you have been unsuccessful.
- October 2022: an in-person interview with the selection committee.
- October-December 2022: Selected Mandela Rhodes Scholars must do their best to secure acceptance at their university of choice, as well as their study visa for travel to South Africa in January.