Applications are open for the Megatrends Afrika Fellowship 2022 for Postdoctoral researchers. “Megatrends Afrika: Implications and Options for German and International Policy”, a new research and advisory project in cooperation between the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) in Berlin, the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) in Bonn and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), is awarding three (3) fellowships to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues.
They are in particular interested in research proposals on the following topics:
Conflicts, Statehood, and Actors of Violence in Africa:
- The relationship between climate change and/or resource management and conflict
- The changing nature of armed conflict, incl. new technologies and influence operations; remote warfare and warfare in urban settings; developments in security sector assistance/ reform
- The effectiveness of regional ad hoc coalitions or organizations in conflict management
Megatrends and Political Authority in Africa:
- The relationship between digitalization, political participation and democracy/ autocracy
- The reshaping of politics through demographic change, and youth movements
- The impact of urban and increasingly digital middle classes on economies and politics
- The relation between climate change or migration and political authority
External Actors and their Influence on Politics, Societies and Economies in Africa:
- African perspectives on China’s economic engagement
- External actors in Africa such as India, Russia, Turkey, or the UAE
Megatrends Afrika Fellowship
- Fellows will receive a monthly grant of €2,800 as well as an economy fare return trip between the fellow’s place of residence and Germany.
Eligibility for Megatrends Afrika Fellowship
- Open to postdoctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues;
- Applicant should have complete PhD in 2017 or later;
- Fellows are encouraged to conduct a research project independently but might collaborate with team members as well as other SWP, DIE and IfW colleagues. Fellows are encouraged to contribute at least one paper to the project’s publication series.
- The working language of the Megatrends Afrika-team is English. Publications will be accepted in English or German, but the submission of a publication in French is also possible.
Application of Megatrends Afrika Fellowship
All applications must be submitted as a single PDF document and must contain the following documents in English:
- Firstly, A cover letter (one page);
- Secondly, A CV incl. a list of academic publications; and a sample of 2 pieces of recently published research papers;
- Thirdly, Copies of relevant academic transcripts and/or diplomas (no translations needed);
- Additionally, A written concept note containing the description of the applicant’s project (not to exceed two (2) pages or 1000 words);
- This concept note must include:
- A discussion of the project/research topic, relevant project objectives and an explanation of the academic and policy relevance of the project;
- An overview of the theoretical and methodological approaches the fellow seeks to apply.
Send your application by email to [email protected]. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.