Applications are open for the SG Academies South-East Asia Fellowship (SASEAF) Program 2022. The SG Academies South-East Asia Fellowship (SASEAF) Programme aims to attract bright postgraduate researchers from South-East Asia to Singapore research institutions for a 2-year long fellowship.
This fellowship was first known as the SNAS ASEAN Fellowship in 2020, renamed to the SG Academies ASEAN Fellowship in early 2021, then further revised to SASEAF in late 2021. It is now administered by three academies in Singapore – the Singapore National Academy of Science (SNAS), together with the Academy of Medicine Singapore (AMS), and the Academy of Engineering Singapore (SAEng) – and funded by the National Research Foundation (NRF).
The SASEAF Programme involves the participating host institutions, including Singapore universities and research institutions such as A*STAR, and candidates aligning to agreed fields of research (science, medicine, engineering).
Benefits from Asia Fellowship Program
- SNAS will provide a monthly stipend ranging from S$4,000 to S$6,500. The exact figure will depend on the experience and performance of the Fellow.
- An additional S$4,000 will be provided for overseas travel at the start and end of the 2-year long fellowship period.
- Access to professional development opportunities (events, seminars and training programmes) within the host institution, NRF and the three Singapore academies (SNAS, AMS, SAEng).
- Opportunities to learn more about Singapore and to foster stronger ties and partnership between SASEA Fellows and Singapore.
Eligibility for Asia Fellowship Program
- Applicants must be citizens of a South-East Asian country (not including Singapore) and non-Singapore-based.
- Applicants must have a PhD Degree from a reputable institution, and should have some formal working experience after obtaining their PhD Degree.
- Applicants who are currently residing and/or working in Singapore are not eligible. However, Singapore-based researchers with a confirmed job offer in public-sector research entities. In their home countries, with an appropriate start date (e.g. 2~3 years later), are exempted and may apply. Documentary proof of offer is required.
- Applicants should not be more than 40 years-old at the time of application.
- Applicants must be fluent in written and oral English.
- The candidates may propose any field of research done in Singapore research institutions. Preference will be given to candidates working on infectious diseases, public health and environment and/or water-related research topics.
Evaluation Criteria for Asia Fellowship Program
- Applicant’s training, aptitude and experience: Academic qualifications, performance, relevant experience, aptitude to benefit from the fellowship program and the ability to add value after his/her return home.
- Relevance and Quality of the Research Proposal: The proposal must be well-designed, innovative and the stipulated outputs must be achievable during the fellowship tenure.
- Personal Qualities: The applicant should be someone who values collaboration between South-East Asian countries and will strive to foster strong bonds between academic bodies in the region. He/she should continue to practice science after completion of this fellowship and contribute to scientific advancements through various means, including formal education, science promotion/application or policy-making, for a better and stronger South-East Asia.
Application of Asia Fellowship Program
Documents Required for Application include:
- Application Form
- Research Proposal (no longer than 2 pages) developed in consultation with the host professor(s)/PI(s) at the Singapore University.
- Host professor/PI’s in-principle approval with his/her official email ID.
- Certified copies of diplomas and transcripts.
- Two recommendation letters from referees (preferably independent referees) stating your suitability for this fellowship. The letters should be submitted directly by your referee. Instructions for referees may be found here.
After obtaining in-principle approval from your host professor/PI, complete the Application Form. Thereafter, combine all required documents into one single PDF file and upload it here. The order of the documents should follow the list under ‘Documents Required for Application’, i.e. Items 1 – 4.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.