Applications are open for the SAAO Prize Scholarship 2024. The South African Astronomical observatory (SAAO) will award an MSc and PhD scholarship, for degrees starting in 2024, to outstanding candidates. All the MSc and PhD projects advertised on the 2024 PhD and MSc projects page are available.
Founded in 1820, the SAAO is the national centre for optical and infrared astronomy in South Africa. Its primary role is to conduct fundamental research in astronomy and astrophysics by providing a world-class facility to scientists. The SAAO also promotes astronomy and astrophysics in southern Africa, by sharing research findings and discoveries, and participating in outreach activities to enthuse citizens about physics and astronomy.
SAAO Prize Scholarship
- The funding amount will be R180,000 per year at MSc level, and R190,000 per year at PhD level.
- In addition to this stipend, tuition fees will be covered, generous support for travel and equipment will be provided and options for on-site accommodation can be explored.
Eligibility for SAAO Prize Scholarship
- Open to candidates of any nationality, but preference will be given to South African citizens and permanent residents.
- Applicants must be eligible to register for an MSc/PhD degree in astrophysics at a South African university at the start of the 2024 academic year.
- Ideal candidates will have a background in astrophysics.
- Applicants must apply for a particular astronomical project offered at the SAAO, and discuss their application with the relevant supervisor before applying.
- Successful applicants must be ready to start their degree at the beginning of the 2024 academic year. For an MSc scholarship this means that a BSc Honours (or equivalent) degree must be completed. In the case of a PhD scholarship, an MSc degree must be completed, or approval to upgrade to a PhD granted.
- At most two scholarships at either level will be awarded each year. SAAO reserves the right not to make an award.
- Funding is limited to 2 years for an MSc and 3 years for a PhD. The degree must be completed in this time.
- Funding is contingent on proof of registration from the university agreed upon with the supervisor, and signing of the SAAO student memorandum of understanding (MoU). The student will be expected to abide by this MoU, the regulations of their host university, and the SAAO code of conduct.
- An annual progress report should be submitted, and the student should participate in the Postgraduate Advisory Committee process put in place by the SAAO to ensure that sufficient progress is made each year.
- Holders of these scholarships must spend a minimum of 60% of their time at SAAO and will be required to visit their host university at least once a year.
- Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed during August or September, and an offer will be made to the successful candidate by the end of September 2023.
Selection Criteria of SAAO Prize Scholarship
The selection criteria will be:
- Firstly, Academic merit
- Secondly, Motivation
- Aptitude for research
- Transformation considerations
- Lastly, The results of an interview
Application of SAAO Prize Scholarship
To apply, send the following documents, and nothing else, as a single pdf ﬁle by email to [email protected]: a cover letter, CV, and academic transcripts.
The subject line of your email should contain your surname, the surname of the supervisor of the project you are applying for, and the level (MSc or PhD) at which you are applying. Also arrange to have two referees send a reference letter directly to [email protected], by the application deadline, and with your name in the subject line.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.