Applications for the Design Futures Lab 2023 are now open. This creative economy project, supported by the British Council #SouthernAfricaArts, is now in its second year and in 2023 offers South African and Zimbabwean content creators an opportunity to develop experiential, provocative and immersive digital narratives about sustainable fashion and design.
They are looking for six teams (12 artists in total working in creative pairs) – three teams from South Africa and three from Zimbabwe. Immersive media refers to forms of media such as virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) that provides a sense of presence and immersion by allowing a user to enter and interact with a simulated or augmented environment in a seemingly real way. The 2nd edition of the Design Futures Lab will take place in Cape Town from 21 – 24 April 2023.
Grant from Design Futures Lab
- Each team will be awarded a grant of R60,000 to develop their digital prototype/proof of concept.
Eligibility for Design Futures Lab
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be citizens or permanent residents of South Africa or Zimbabwe.
- Currently live in South Africa or Zimbabwe and able to travel on the days required.
- Submit in pairs, with one concept (two creatives per concept – one team member should be a creative technologist or, comfortable exploring new technologies).
- One member should have some form of experience in a creative technology field.
- One member should have experience in fashion and/or design (this includes apparel, footwear and accessories)
- Be willing to complete a self-directed African Creative Economy course up to Intermediate Level.
- Attend all components of the Design Futures Lab.
Application of Design Futures Lab
The application form requires that you:
- Tell them about yourselves (short 1 minute video clip).
- Tell them about your interest in the Lab and what you would like to learn.
- Tell them about XR projects that inspire the concept you will be submitting.
- Tell them about your creative practice/s.
- Tell them about your XR idea — Your idea should express the experiential narratives around sustainable fashion practices, as well as how you want to integrate technology. This isn’t an in-depth description, just show us how you imagine using the immersive tech.
- Include your initial creative concept materials — this must include links to visual or audio references. This could be a mood board, compilation of work that inspires you, etc. They want to understand your aesthetic intentions for your XR idea.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.