Applications are open for the Goethe-Institut Project Space (GPS) Grant 2023. The Goethe-Institut set up this grant in 2016 to support art professionals from across South Africa who collaborate with cultural or public spaces and engage with the people in the areas where these spaces are located.
GPS aims to foster collaborations between art professionals and community spaces that can take the form of workshops or exhibitions, performances or events of any artistic discipline including visual arts, performing arts, film, music, or interdisciplinary work. For 2023, the focus is on projects that are specifically engaging with communities outside South Africa’s big urban centres.
Goethe-Institut Project Space (GPS) Grant
- GPS grants financial support/seed funding of up to R 70,000 per project to artistic projects that are realised in South Africa between February and November 2023.
Eligibility for Goethe-Institut Project Space (GPS) Grant
- Only projects of a non-commercial nature will be considered.
- The Goethe-Institut offers financial support for chosen projects to the maximum amount of R70 000 per project. Should the project budget exceed this amount, the artist/project team should seek further support from other funding institutions, donors or sponsors – information of which should be included in the budget plan for this application form.
- The proposed space has an established track record, operating for at least 1 year and professionalism evident. The profile of the space must be such that realisation of proposed project is viable.
- The signed collaboration agreement outlining the form of commitment from the space is essential.
- A clear idea on how the project engages with communities, preferably outside South Africa’s big urban centres, must be part of the project proposal
- Only one project proposal per artist will be considered by the jury.
Evaluation Criteria of Goethe-Institut Project Space (GPS) Grant
- The project application has met the deadline and documentation is complete.
- Realisation plan, budget outline and partner organisation/infrastructure are realistic for achieving the aims of the project.
- The project is feasible within the time period.
- A complete and realistic budget plan that outlines additional support in the case that a project’s budget exceeds the GPS total budget per project of R 70 000. This is particularly important with large/ambitious projects, where eventual realisation may seem unlikely with inadequate funding.
- The work is appropriate for the space and audience and reflects what the artist/project team is aiming to achieve.
- The proposal illustrates that both artist and the space where the project will take place are able and willing to support the project from start to finish. The project and the proposed space in which it will be presented need to operate independently and in partnership with each other. The partners need to take into account all conceptual concerns and manage all logistical tasks.
- The project demonstrates artistic quality as well as social and cultural relevance.
The following information and materials should be prepared by you in order to fill in the application:
- Firstly, A short synopsis of your project (max. of 200 words)
- Secondly, A detailed project description (max. 1000 words)
- Thirdly, A short paragraph about the projects’ objectives and means how they will be met (max. 200 words)
- Additionally, A project timeline including realisation plan and promotion strategy (max. 500 words)
- Short biographies/descriptions (max. 500 words) of all involved parties (artists, collaborators, space/venue etc.)
- Collaboration agreement signed by all artists, collaborators and spaces involved in the project (use the template provided)
- Lastly, A project budget outlining the estimated costs (expenditure) and planned income for your project (use the template excel sheet provided)
- Supporting material / references of previous work (e.g. press reviews, visual documentation) – NO reference letters needed. You will be able to upload up to 3 files and add up to 3 website links.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.