Applications are now open for the Google News Initiative (GNI) Innovation Challenge! It is a global program that empowers news organizations from around the world to demonstrate new thinking in digital journalism.
The GNI Innovation Challenge in Europe focuses on innovation in any form. Selected projects will produce learnings and thought leadership to share with the wider industry.
- Google will fund up to €150,000 for selected projects.
- Out of the total project budget, Google will finance up to 70% while at least 30% must be provided by the applicant.
- Also, the self-funded portion may include operational costs.
- Eligible expenses include:
- personnel costs
- engineering costs
- the purchase or licensing of any equipment, tools, hardware, software, and other assets or materials needed for the project.
- However, marketing expenses should not exceed 20% of the total amount of Google funding requested.
- Also, editorial expenses are not part of the eligible costs
- Moreover, funding may not be spent on general and overhead costs.
- The European Innovation Challenge is open to all types of news organizations, including freelancers and sole traders
- Also, produce original journalism
- Your projects focus on creating a more sustainable and diverse news ecosystem.
- In addition, Geographically, applicants must be based in Europe (eligible countries listed in Terms & Conditions).
- News organizations must be incorporated in one of the eligible countries.
- Moreover, unincorporated organizations must be registered in the region or, if unregistered, have their principal place of business there.
GNI encourages innovative projects – focused on, but not limited to – the areas below:
- Ways to increase reader engagement and/or reader revenue
- Developing and diversifying business models
- New methods of distribution
- Combating misinformation
- Increasing trust in journalism
- Reaching new audiences
- Improving the efficiency of workflows
- Exploring new technologies
- Impact on the news ecosystem
- Also, Feasibility
- In addition, Inspiration
- The online applications must be in English.
- Applicants should provide clear descriptions and budget information plus complete a templated slide deck via our online application form.
- They are also required to accept the European GNI Innovation Challenge Application Terms and Conditions.