Nominations are open for the Lee Kuan Yew Water Prize 2024, a prestigious international award that honours outstanding contributions by individuals or organisations towards solving the world’s water challenges by developing or applying innovative technologies, policies or programmes which benefit humanity.
Singapore’s Minister for Sustainability and the Environment Grace Fu announced the opening of nominations for the LKYWP 2024 in a speech delivered at a side event hosted by Singapore during the UN 2023 Water Conference in New York. The Singapore event – “Water, Technology and Sustainable Development” – was well attended by international leaders in the water sector who shared best practices in leveraging technology for sustainable water management. The leaders also shared how the international community can work collectively to catalyse innovation for a water-resilient future, in support of Sustainable Development Goal 6.
The LKYWP is named after Singapore’s founding Prime Minister Mr Lee Kuan Yew, whose foresight and leadership have enabled Singapore to attain a sustainable water supply despite being a highly urbanised city-state with little natural water resources. Since its inception in 2008, the Prize, which is sponsored by Temasek Foundation, has gained a strong standing in the global water community for its recognition of innovative water technologies, policies or programmes that have been game-changers in their real-world application.
Award from Kuan Yew Water Prize
- The LKYWP 2024 Laureate will be announced next year, on World Water Day, on 22 March 2024. The Laureate will receive S$300,000, a gold medallion and a certificate, at an award ceremony during the 10th Singapore International Water Week, to be held from 18 to 22 June 2024 in Singapore.
Eligibility for Kuan Yew Water Prize
- A valid nominee for the Lee Kuan Yew Water Prize should have made outstanding achievements in any water-related field.
- The work should have demonstrated the innovativeness of technologies, policies or programmes.
- The work should have proven impact or demonstrated great potential to be a game-changer in the future.
- Self-nominations and nominations by family members of nominees will not be accepted.
Selection Criteria of Kuan Yew Water Prize
- Role of nominee: The nominator should describe the role of the nominee in the development and implementation of the specific technologies, policies or programmes that underpin the nomination. In particular, the leadership of the nominee as well as the nominee’s instrumental contributions should be highlighted.
- Innovativeness and merits of the technologies, policies or programmes: The innovativeness and benefits of the referenced technologies, policies and programmes should be described in detail. Nominators are encouraged to include comparisons with the state-of-the-art technologies or existing policies and programmes and depict how the nominee’s work has been proven to be a game changer or shown great potential to do so.
- Impact on humanity: The current level of readiness and scale of implementation of the referenced technologies, policies and programmes should be described. Nominators should quantify the impact of nominee’s work in benefitting humanity or project any long-term benefits in cases where the level of readiness and scale of the implementation is currently low.
Nomination of Kuan Yew Water Prize
Leaders of international water companies and water utilities, top academics in water research, policy and/or management, heads of international organisations, members of government, or distinguished individuals in the field of water are welcome to submit nominations of suitable candidates for the LKYWP 2024.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.