Nominations are open for the TWAS-Lenovo Science Award in Social and Economic Sciences 2022. The TWAS-Lenovo Science Award is one of the most prestigious honours given to scientists from the developing world.
During the first four-year cycle (2013-2016), the award subject focused on the basic sciences, with the specific subject area changing each year: physics and astronomy (2013), biological sciences (2014), mathematics (2015) and chemical sciences (2016). During the second cycle the award subjects are: Geological Sciences (2017), Engineering Sciences (2018), Agricultural Sciences (2020), Social and Economic Sciences (2022).
In 2022 the award will be given to an individual in recognition of his/her pioneering achievements in social and economic sciences that have direct impact on crosscutting SDGs and intersectionality, including but not limited to:
- poverty and hunger reduction (including food and nutrition security)
- inequalities (including gender inequities and gender violence)
- quality education (including inclusive education and teacher education)
- health (including mental health, well-being and pandemics)
- climate change (including adaptation/resilience and climate financing)
- clean energy and safe drinking water
TWAS-Lenovo Science Award
- The TWAS-Lenovo Science Award carries a monetary award of $100,000 provided by Lenovo, as well as a medal and a certificate highlighting the recipient’s major contributions to science.
Eligibility for TWAS-Lenovo Science Award
- Candidates must be nationals of a developing country, living and working in the Global South for at least the last 10 years. The award will only be conferred to an individual for scientific research in social and economic sciences of outstanding international merit carried out at institutions in developing countries.
- Self-nominations and nominations from jury members will not be accepted. Fellows of TWAS are eligible for the TWAS-Lenovo Science Award.
- Jury members and previous winners of the Trieste Science Prize (also administered by TWAS) are not eligible for the TWAS-Lenovo Science Award. Individuals who have received the Nobel Prize, the Tokyo/Kyoto Prize, the Crafoord Prize and the Abel Prize are not eligible for the TWAS-Lenovo Science Award.
Application of TWAS-Lenovo Science Award
Nominations are invited from TWAS members, selected individuals, as well as from science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions. Nominations of women scientists are particularly encouraged. Self-nominations and nominations from jury members will not be accepted.
A nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details
- Nominee contact details (self nominations are not accepted) and general information on the nominee, including the country where he/she has been working and living in the past 10 years
- Brief suggested citation (no more than 20 words) highlighting the nominee’s outstanding scientific achievement in Social and Economic Sciences. An example of suitable citation is provided in the ‘helptext’
- Supporting statement of about 200 words summarizing the scientific achievements of the nominee
- 5-6 page narrative write-up of the candidate highlighting his/her major scientific achievements
- Information on PhD (degree, year, awarding institution)
- Information of any time spent abroad in the past ten years
- The nominee’s brief CV and her/his complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform.
- A list of no more than 20 of his/her most significant publications.
- Information on previous awards, honours, recognition received by the nominee
- Google Scholar h-index and number of citations
- Authorization from the nominee to process his/her personal data for the purposes of his/her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.