Applications are open for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) Young Peacebuilders Program 2022 in Latin America and the Caribbean. This is a call to youth aged 18-25 from LAC wanting to tackle violent extremism by building inclusive societies with understanding and respect among cultural and religious communities.
The 5th edition of the Young Peacebuilders program in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) 2022 is designed to strengthen the skills of young women and men from the region in tackling negative stereotypes, prejudice and xenophobia while providing them with access to regional and global peacebuilding networks and raising visibility of their innovative and effective peace work in the field. The long-term goal is the integration of young peacebuilders in governmental peace processes / policies.
During the program, 20 selected participants will:
- Learn about negative stereotypes and how to critically analyze them to reduce their prevalence;
- Understand different perspectives in identity-based conflict and gain tools to develop solutions at local, national and regional levels and transform conflicts peacefully;
- Identify push and pull factors creating conditions conducive to violent extremism;
- Develop competencies to use different forms of media or expressive arts as a way to create alternative narratives, reduce polarization and promote social inclusion;
- Learn how to successfully design and run your project.
Cost of UNAOC Young Peacebuilders Program
All selected youth participants will be provided with:
- Round-trip travel (international or domestic flight, economy class) to the city of the face-to-face workshop and (for those selected) to the city of the symposium;
- Accommodation in the city of the face-to-face workshop and (for those selected) the symposium
- Meals and coffee breaks during the official duration of the workshop and (for those selected) the symposium
- Shuttles or reimbursement of transportation to/from the airport and hotel in the city of the face-to-face workshop and (for those selected) in the city of the symposium.
Eligibility for UNAOC Young Peacebuilders Program
- Applicant must be 18-25 years of age for the total duration of the project. To be considered eligible, applicants must be born on or between December 31, 1996, and January 31, 2004.
- Applicant must be a citizen of and/or currently live in one of the following countries of Latin America and the Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela (the Bolivarian Republic of).
- Applicant must be active (staff, volunteer, etc.) in a non-government and non-for-profit youth-led organization, network, initiative, or movement (led by youth for the benefit of the youth) and have the ability to consult with and reach a wider group of young people, audience or network, including at the grassroots and community level.
- Demonstrate commitment to diversity and pluralism, nonviolence, peaceful and inclusive societies. The organizations and networks represented should: Adhere to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the principles and values of the Charter of the United Nations; have internal democratic and transparent processes of leadership, decision-making, and consultation; be independent, unaffiliated with any political party.
- A strong command of English is necessary to take part in the online phase and in-person workshop. The applicant must understand English very well and possess intermediate to fluent levels of English, which would allow them to participate in the conversation and provide their input.
- Applicant must never have taken part in a program of UNAOC (Summer School, Youth Solidarity Fund, Intercultural Innovation Award, PLURAL+, PeaceApp, Youth Event at the UNAOC Global Forum, Fellowship Program, Young Peacebuilders, #YouthWagingPeace, Sport and PVE youth fora, EDIN, #DigitalPeaceGames).
- The application is duly completed, submitted by the deadline, and contains all supporting documentation, requested as part of the call. Half-complete applications or applications filled in other languages than English will not be reviewed and considered.
Selction Criteria for UNAOC Young Peacebuilders Program
- Motivation and contribution to the program: the applicant demonstrates that she/he is highly motivated to complete all portions of the program.
- Interest in themes: the applicant shows some experience in issues related to intercultural dialogue, peacebuilding and preventing violent extremism through examples of initiatives he/she is part of or is demonstrating a great interest to get involved in this set of issues.
- Experience and potential: The applicant is at the beginning stages of his/her involvement or career in the field of peacebuilding and has specific goals to improve his/her skills and to make contribution to peace.
- Outreach: The applicant and his/her organization have the capacity and motivation to absorb and disseminate the lessons learned back to their community, organization and to a wider network or audience.
- Future impact and follow up: the applicant expressed his/her strong commitment to conduct personal peace initiatives in their community during the implementation phase and beyond.
Application of UNAOC Young Peacebuilders Program
In order to be considered complete and valid, the application package must include the following and be submitted through the online application system available:
- An application form, completed and certified by the applicant;
- A copy of the identification page of your international passport.
Word/character limit for each question in the application form needs to be respected. The application system automatically counts words and characters.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.