The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through a system of undergraduate and graduate placements as Research Interns. These 2-6 month placements give the opportunity to gain experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique. As such, OIST is looking for Research enthusiastic candidates for 2020 Cohort of fully funded Internship Program. Interns work under the direction of a Professor at OIST and contribute to the research activities of OIST. Specific assignment of duties is at the discretion of the PI, and is subject to change. Moreover, OIST offers Research Internship twice a year on a competitive basis, with the application period months in advance.
Fully Funded OIST Research Internship
OIST Research Internship is paid opportunities that provide fully funded benefit packages to the students. Moreover, the recipient of the Research Internship receives:
- OIST provides a living allowance, commuting support where necessary, and accommodation either on campus or nearby. Successful applicants will receive a Living Allowance of 2,400 JPY per day (weekends excluded) while at OIST.
- Travel Expenses
- OIST will pay for one direct roundtrip travel for Research Interns between the home university or institution and the research unit or other facilities where the internship will take place (primarily in Okinawa). Moreover, the travel dates must be as close as possible to the term of the placement. OIST Graduate School arranges the travel for successful applicants.
- Other Support
- The Student Support Section of the Graduate School will provide support for Research Interns at OIST with matters such as housing, visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. OIST, however, regrets that support for dependents, family members, and persons other than the student is not available.
Eligibility for the OIST Research Internship
Those eligible to apply for the fully funded OIST Research Internship Program include excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, as well as vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions.
- Currently, enrolled students must have approval from their home institution. Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
- Graduate School funded internships are highly competitive. Hence, the recipients must be outstanding applicants who are in the final 2 years of their academic program. Recent graduates within the past year before the application deadline may also apply for the internship.
- In some cases, OIST may offer additional internship positions directly to other outstanding applicants, particularly for those with highly-developed skills relevant to the group’s research.
How to apply for the OIST Research Internship?
Application for the fully funded OIST Research Internship is available online. The candidates must complete the online application as well as provide the following documents to complete their application.
- Curriculum Vitae Sheet
- Personal Statement
- Academic Transcript – Upload a scan of your current academic transcript in PDF format. Also, unofficial partial transcripts are acceptable.
- Recommendation Letter – A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is necessary.
- ID Photo – Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation
Candidates may apply for the fully funded OIST Research Internship until 15 October 2019. Applications arriving after the deadline are ineligible for the Internship Program.