United Nations invites application for public information Internship. The internship is centered on assisting ESCAP’s Strategic Communications and Advocacy Section (SCAS) in discharging a range of strategic communications and public information as well as multimedia tasks to raise the organization’s visibility. Moreover, Interns will gain first-hand experience with regard to the United Nations ESCAP’s activities in the area of strategic communications as well as public information and media relations. They will also gain a greater understanding of how the UN ESCAP works and its range of activities in the Asia-Pacific region.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned. The OES/SCAS internship is for 3-6 months. The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
What will Public Information Internship Do?
- Help design and prepare various information materials and publications;
- Provide assistance in preparing the multimedia public information materials of ESCAP, including presentation, slide shows, and video production as well as social media pieces;
- Help initiate contents/feeds for social media channels and explore more potential social media means to raise the visibility of ESCAP work;
- Provide assistance in editing and creating film videos, mix sound
- Provide assistance in creating and enhancing photo library;
- Help prepare captions as well as upload and download the photos to/from photo library;
- Help take photos of events, when required;
- Carry out and/or initiate tasks/special projects;
- Assist with SCAS’ contributions to ESCAP’s website; if required.
In cooperation with the Public Information Intern, the multimedia intern also:
- Help prepare the daily ESCAP Morning News Headlines;
- Help monitor news clippings from local newspapers on global, regional and national issues for UN HQs;
- Provide research for backgrounders/information materials;
- Assist in the preparation of briefing sessions on the work of ESCAP and other UN agencies for UN Briefing Programme;
- Assist in the organization and execution of special events to mark UN observances, press conferences, media launches or exhibitions;
Qualifications for United Nations Internship
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Likewise, be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Further, have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation.
- Similarly, Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Also, Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Studio, Drupal, UX design, HTML and CSS are desirable
How To apply
To apply for the Public Information Internship at UN applicants will require to complete an online application. The application should consist of an updated CV as well as a cover letter. Moreover, the cover letter must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing
- Graduation Date (when will you be graduating from the program)
- List the IT skills and programs that you are proficient in
- List your top three areas of interest/department preferences
- Explain why you are the best candidate for SCAS
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme
- If possible, indicate the potential internship period
The United Nations will not consider the incomplete application.
The United Nations accept an application for Public Information Internship until 31 July 2019. Moreover, the UN will not consider an application for the internship eligible should arrive after the deadline.