The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) / Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG) offers internship is for two months with an opportunity for extension to a maximum of six months, depending on the needs of the department. However, the internship is unpaid and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned. The Intern will report to Senior Officers within DSDG.
The intern will work in the Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG). Moreover, the division seeks to provide leadership and catalyze action in promoting and coordinating the implementation of internationally agreed development goals, including the seventeen Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The internship will include the intern to take responsibilities including:
- Provide general office support (e.g. processing correspondence; maintaining files, records, and/or databases; organizing meetings; taking meeting minutes; etc.).
- Support project development and implementation by gathering relevant information and data.
- Assist with the organization of (high-level) meetings, workshops, seminars, webinars, and other similar activities, supporting with the preparation of agendas, co-drafting background materials, and meeting reports.
- Supports the preparation of background and options papers, including the ongoing work on the implementation of the Technology Facilitation Mechanism, mapping of information on existing science, technology and innovation initiatives, networks, platforms, and programs.
- Assists in collecting data from multiple resources. Assists in reviewing and analyzing data from multiple resources.
- Researches and organizes information as and when requested and assists with analyzing trends.
- Conduct research and prepare substantive papers as needed.
- Support staff with stakeholder engagement program and partnerships program.
- Support staff with outreach engagement.
- Provide support to staff with website content updates.
- Other ad hoc related activities to Sustainable Development
What do you need for United Nations Sustainable Development Internship?
To qualify for an internship with the UN Sustainable Development Internship program, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be in a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- Be in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation from an academic program.
- Moreover, applicants who are unable to commence the internship within one year of graduation are not eligible.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Further, applicants do not require having professional working experience for participation in the UN Internship Program
- Fluency of English (both written and spoken) is desirable. Additionally, knowledge of French and Spanish is also desirable.
- Also, Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds as well as beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
How to apply for an Internship at the United Nations?
Applicants may apply for the United Nations internship by submitting the online application. Further, the applicants will require a recent CV and cover letter to apply for the internship. Also, the interns may submit a relevant portfolio and documentation.
Interns, however, should note that they may submit only one PDF file via the online application portal. Hence, the applicants must merge all documents into one PDF file before uploading.
Applicants may apply for the Sustainable Development Internship at United Nations until 28 August 2019. UN will not accept any more application after the past the deadline.