Applications are open for the East-West Center Research Innovation & Collaboration and Exchange (RICE) Fellowship 2023. The East-West Center (EWC) will provide RICE Fellowships for scholars, policy experts, non-government organization/civil society organization (NGO/CSO) members, researchers, or journalists from the Indo-Pacific Region, including the United States, to undertake research or other projects on topics related to the domestic/international governance, environmental issues, political economy issues around trade, technology and integration, and geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific. RICE Fellowships must begin by September 30, 2023.
Key Program Elements
RICE Fellows will undertake research or other projects at the EWC in the Honolulu or Washington, DC offices. The length of the RICE Fellowship will be based on the project as will the associated stipend, support, and travel funding. In some cases, a recipient may be permitted to work at another location, provided sufficient project-relevant justification is presented.
During the Fellowship terms, participants will pursue their project interests both independently and in collaboration with EWC researchers who will provide guidance on research resources, access, and other relevant information, and will also assist the RICE Fellow in residence at EWC Honolulu or DC locations. Emphasis for selection will be toward proposed collaborations and exchanges which create or strengthen networks, partnerships, and shared outcomes. All project outcomes (e.g., EWC/Co-Branded publications, reports, videos, websites, databases, etc) will be co-branded between EWC and the applicantʻs home institution, and preference will be given to outcomes which are sustainable.
Examples of possible projects might encompass:
- Development of an EWC-Partner Organization publication or seminar series;
- Creating a new website or database (e.g., see North Korea in the World or Asia Matters for America); or
- Creating an exchange program for rising experts and leaders.
They urge innovative, collaborative exchange projects that convene impactful dialogues among peoples and products as well as develop and equip leaders.
Cost of Center Research Innovation Fellowship
- RICE Fellowships include a monthly stipend and travel expenses depending upon the project proposed.
Eligibility for Center Research Innovation Fellowship
- Applicants must be nationals of a country from the Indo-Pacific or the United States and eligible to receive a fellowship stipend.
- Applicants must possess a minimum of a completed Master’s degree. Research applicants should have completed a PhD, while policy experts, NGO/CSO leaders, and journalists, among others, should have demonstrated experience in their professions. Preference will be given to candidates who have not yet had the opportunity to conduct research, projects, and network in Honolulu or Washington, DC.
- Due to EWC funding regulations, non-US citizens or permanent residents who are selected as RICE Fellows will require East-West Center J-1 visa sponsorship during their residency. Acceptance of the fellowship will subject fellows to Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act or the two-year home country residency requirement before the fellow may apply for a change of status in the United States, permanent residency, or an H, L, or K visa.
Application of Center Research Innovation Fellowship
Application must include:
- A completed online application form
- A full CV
- Two letters of reference
- A 2-page statement outlining the proposed work. The proposal must include a summary of the project to be pursued (e.g, a research publication or other product as outlined above); a schedule and identified milestones to complete the project; an explanation of how the collaboration with EWC will further the proposed work (e.g., access to research experts, dialogs with key partners, convening for critical dialogue, etc). Proposals should focus on bringing individuals and organizations from the U.S., Asia, and the Pacific together to share perspectives, consider common challenges and opportunities, and create collaborative outcomes.
- Rough budget for the work, including requested stipend, travel, housing, other costs
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.