Applications for the James McCune Smith Scholarships 2023 are now open. The James McCune Smith Scholarships fund Black UK domiciled students to undertake PhD research at the University of Glasgow in any research area in which they can offer supervision.
They provide an enhanced experience through external mentors, placements, leadership training, community-building activities and networking opportunities. There are 10 James McCune Smith PhD Scholarships available to begin research in October 2023. Eight of these are funded by the University of Glasgow and support research in any discipline. Two are funded by GSK and support research in areas of interest to GSK Medicinal Chemistry.
The Scholarships are named after James McCune Smith, who graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1837 as the first African American to receive a medical degree.
James McCune Smith Scholarships
- The funding covers stipend (est £18,022 for 2023 entry) and fees for up to four years.
- You’ll receive:
- a six-month placement with industry, a government or non-governmental organisation or other employer
- mentorship from outside academia to provide a broader perspective and network, in addition to the usual academic supervisors
- leadership training and community building activities
- support for conferences and other networking opportunities
Eligibility for James McCune Smith Scholarships
- You must be a UK domiciled Black African, Black Caribbean, Black Other, Mixed White and Black Caribbean, Mixed White and Black African, or other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other).
- Applying does not prevent you from applying for other schemes to obtain a funded place.
Application of James McCune Smith Scholarships
- Look at the research interests of staff at the University of Glasgow so that you can suggest a research area and a supervisor.
- Submit a completed Expression of Interest form so that they can assist you in your application.
- Follow the application process, beginning with contacting potential supervisors. When contacting a potential supervisor, be sure to state that you wish to apply for a James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the options for funding. The topic of research for a James McCune Smith Scholarship is decided by the applicant in conjunction with their potential supervisor.
- Submit your personal statement via the Scholarship Portal. The personal statement should be up to 500 words on your research interest and why you wish to be a James McCune Smith Scholar.
- You also need to submit an application on the University’s MyCampus system. Name the James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the funding options under Finance in the online full application. The deadline for applications is January 31, 2023 but earlier submission is encouraged.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.