Applications are open for the Quantum Leap Africa (QLA) PhD in Data Science 2023. The field of data science is emerging as a critical discipline with high relevance to economic growth and development. This doctoral training program established by Quantum Leap Africa (QLA) at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Rwanda will provide emerging African scientists the opportunity to conduct research at the forefront of data science, and work towards a PhD degree within a high-quality training program in Africa, in cooperation with institutions internationally.
The program will focus on theoretical foundations of data science as well as applications of data science to improve the daily lives of Africans. It is built on the understanding that modern approaches in data science require a combination of expertise spanning the areas of mathematics, statistics, computer science, and the applied sciences.
AIMS will be offering up to seven fully-funded PhD positions in this prestigious new doctoral program. The recruited students will be based in Rwanda at AIMS Rwanda, or any of the other AIMS centers, in partnership with universities and research institutions across Africa and globally. The program aims to train future change-makers, who will have an impact across academia, industry, education, and government.
Funding for Quantum Leap Africa PhD
- The program is fully funded providing stipend, equipment, health insurance, relocation costs, conference attendance, direct cost to graduating institution such as tuition fees and registration fees.
Eligibility for Quantum Leap Africa PhD
- Applicant should have a Master’s degree (completed by Sept 2023) in mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, physics or other relevant fields;
- Sufficient theoretical foundations evidenced by prior work (courses/thesis/other training);
- Qualification for pursuing research on the chosen topic, including relevant programming expertise;
- Research potential evidenced by academic performance and involvement in relevant academic activities;
- Motivation for pursuing a PhD by research in the suggested topic;
- Being an African national.
Application of Quantum Leap Africa PhD
You will be asked to submit the following documents
- Application Form
- CV (you can use your own format, but make sure to cover the content mentioned in this template that applies to your case. The template.tex file also contains general tips on writing CVs at the top.)
- Transcripts (submit your undergraduate and your masters level transcripts. Additional transcripts can be submitted if relevant.)
As part of the application form, you will be able to
- Select or suggest a research topic
- Name two academics (ideally senior researchers), who are willing to write a letter of support.
Make sure to contact your referee writers well in advance and only submit names of referees that
have explicitly agreed to write you a reference letter. Referees will automatically receive a
request to submit their reference letter for you in case you are shortlisted for Phase 2 of the selection process.
- Indicate whether you are already admitted at a university or otherwise have future plans that you consider to combine with this program.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.