Applications for the Reporters Without Borders Germany Berlin Scholarship Program 2023 are now open. Reporters Without Borders Germany offers journalists from war zones and crisis areas the opportunity to take a break in Berlin for four months and complete a training programme in digital security.
It aims to provide participants with practical knowledge and skills to protect themselves against digital threats such as surveillance or hacker attacks in their journalistic activities. In a second phase, with the support of the trainer team, the participants prepare their own training concept, through which they can pass on their newly acquired knowledge to colleagues in their home countries as trainers. In this way, journalists outside the scholarship programme can also benefit from the digital security skills taught in the programme.
For 2023, a total of ten scholarships will be awarded to journalists from war zones and crisis areas for a period of four months each. The programme is funded by the Berlin Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises.
Topics of the Digital Training
- Holistic security basics for journalists, bloggers, media professionals and citizen journalists at risk
- Operational security including risk assessments and security planning
- Online identity management for investigative journalists, including technical background and practical use of anonymization tools
- Secure online communication concepts, technology and tools, including secure online conferencing for interviews
- Password and account security and data protection on social media and other online accounts for media work
- Device security for computers and mobile phones of journalists at risk
- Website security for media websites under attack
- Secure online and offline data storage including encryption for media files
- Online information verification and Open Source Intelligence
Cost of Reporters Without Borders Scholarship
- The programme covers the travel costs, takes care of all visa-related matters, provides and pays for an apartment in Berlin for the duration of the scholarship, grants a monthly allowance of €900/month, free use of public transportation in Berlin and an extensive training programme with qualified experts in the field of digital security.
- Furthermore, during their stay in Berlin, scholarship holders will be given insights into the activities of Reporters Without Borders Germany, a globally-active journalist and human rights organization.
Eligibility for Reporters Without Borders Scholarship
- Open to professional journalists, bloggers, media professionals and citizen journalists who
- are exposed to digital threats due to their work in their home regions.
- want to learn and work extensively with digital security in order to improve their personal security.
- are interested in passing on the knowledge acquired during the scholarship programme to colleagues in their home regions and, ideally, already have some experience in teaching or other areas of knowledge transfer.
- are able and willing to fully participate in the programme. They expect the applicants to be available for all activities of the programme including the comprehensive training for digital security. Plan with about 20 to 25 hours per week from the second until the fourth month of your stay in Berlin
- Applicants must have a very strong command of the English language, as the whole scholarship programme will be conducted entirely in English.
- Applicants must have adequate experience working as a journalist, be it as a professional journalist or a citizen journalist.
- A high level of proficiency in regards to digital security is not required; anyone who is used to working with a computer and smart phone can apply.
- Are able and willing to fully participate in all activities of the programme.
- In addition, applicants must show that they are willing to return to their home region after the fellowship in Germany.
- Previous teaching experience would be desirable.
Application of Reporters Without Borders Scholarship
Send a completed and signed application form, the completed questionnaire, your CV and a proof of identity (copy of your ID or your passport) as attachments in separate PDF documents (4 PDFs in total) via the Signal messenger service to +491636743853, or if you have a ProtonMail account to [email protected]
The application form and the questionnaire are fillable PDF files. Fill in these files on a computer and send them in this form. Follow these instructions to ensure that they can read all your texts:
- Save the two PDF files
- Fill in the two files on your computer
- Save the completed files again
- Send the completed files
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
Similarly, Visit oyaop.com and oyaschool.com for more scholarship opportunities.